Saturday, July 30, 2011

Fort Fred Steele, Wyoming






















Fort Fred Steele is the last fort on my journey. This fort was down a dirt road and not manned by anyone. There was a building that was like a museum. It was on a dead end road. It was here that you parked your car, toured the museum and then walked under the railroad tracks to the other site where the fort ruins were located.


It was a desolate place. I saw one truck leaving as I was arriving and then a group of fishermen were at the museum when I was coming back under the railroad tracks.


It was kind of fitting that it was desolate because this Fort was the end of the military journey of my great grandfather, John O'Donnell. "This was the lst duty station for Sergeant O'Donnell. On August 21, 1879, while on duty as Provost Sergeant, he was thrown from a wagon while unloading ice. He fell with such force the blow rendered him unconscious for several days. He also sustained severe contusions of the back, internal injurie to the kidneys and bladder, and a double ingrinal hernia. Taken to the post hospital, he remained there until his discharge on October 10, 1879. He was 48 years of age."


It was a lonely fort to visit and I continued to reflect upon his accident and how all of a sudden our lives can change dramatically without any notice. I am grateful to have had this time and this trip. I look forward to learning more and finding out more about John O'Donnell.

No comments:

Post a Comment