Thursday, July 28, 2011

Fort Sedgwick

























I had a slow start this morning with an upset stomach. That is not unusual for me when I travel. So, I had a leisurely start to my day.


It was a 5 hour drive to Julesberg,CO which is the town that houses the Fort Sedgwick museum. Sergeant O'Donnell was discharged at Fort Sedgwick in 1867. Fort Sedgwick was originally Fort Rankin and then later renamed Ft. Sedgwick. The buildings were originally sod. The soldiers assigned there guarded the the mail and passenger routes that followed the South Platte River.


According to some of the literature that I was given "Though filmed elsewhere, 'Fort Sedgwick' was prominent in the popular movie Dances With Wolves." I also purchased a book about Ft. Sedgwick.


The woman working in the museum today was not the regular historian. However, she made a phone call to her and I did speak with her. She is working on a special project right now and will get back to me. I will contact her if I learn more about John O'Donnell.


They had a map of the South Platte River Trail which has markers along it. It is along a county road which is all dirt. Nothing remains of Fort Sedgwick today, only the markers. It is all farmland with signs to stay out. I drove the county road which reminded me of heading for the Kelly cemetary in North Bend, NE.


I purchased a book on Ft. Sedgwick and some postcards that are duplicates of a pen and ink drawing done by Anton Schoenborn in 1870. I bought a highlighter to highlight information in the document that my cousin gave me. I want to cut to the facts. However, in this document, he/she (J.G. Knudsen) makes reference to the regimental record. That is something that I would like to read.


I will upload more photos to Kodak Gallery although there is not much to see. I tried to take pictures that I would be able to read of the markers. I am very grateful to be able to make this trip and learn what I am learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment