Saturday, July 30, 2011

Fort Fetterman, Wyoming








Today is my last day of touring forts. I have learned a lot and realize I have a lot more to learn. I am glad that it is summer and I will have a little more time to do some research. Colleen, where are those "Who Do You Think You Are" historians when I need them?







At Fort Fetterman I was greeted by the sweetest dog, which made me very homesick for my two dogs. Colleen will Skype with me tonight and I will be able to see them. I hear that Bugs is missing his mom.







There are only three original buildings remaining at Fort Fetterman and two are in very good shape and the other needs work. I was greeted by Peg Fetterman. She is not sure if she is related to the Fetterman that the fort was named after. I told her my story and she sadly replied that they did not have any records. They did have copies of the 1870 and 1880 census. I quickly scanned and did not find any O'Donnell. Later when I passed through the visitor's center again, she showed me the entry for John O'Donaldson who was married to Mary both from Ireland with two boys. That was indeed my great grandfather. It was like the people in San Diego City schools who can never find my email address because I am listed as Kay Cook, Mary.












I walked the grounds of Fort Fetterman and got the feel of the land. At Fort Fetterman they had a cistern because they had to haul the water up a hill from the North Platte River.












According to the document that I have from J.P. Knudsen, "O'Donnell re-enlisted at Fort Fetterman on October 11, 1869 and was assigned to Company "E" under Captain H.W. Patterson, First Lieutenant Patrick Breslin, and Second Lieutenant John O'Brien. On December 1, 1869, Companies "A" and "E" departed Fort Fetterman to rendezvous with Companies "D", "F", and "G" for scouting purposes. Having travelled but a short distance, they were set upon by hostile Sioux; the attack so severe that the party was forced to retreat back to Fort Fetterman."












The 4th Infantry was re-assigned to Louisville, KY on March 1, 1871. "to be split up in small detachments to chivvy moonshiners about the Kentucky hills for a year". (Wikipedia)






It is here that my grandmother, MaryJane O'Donnell, was born. In 1872 the 4th Infantry was transferred to Little Rock Arkansas. However, in May, 1873 the 4th Infantry was back in Wyoming at Fort Russell. "Regimental records indicate that Seargeant O'Donnell was on special detail, in charge of prisoners sent to Fort Fred Steele,Wyoming Territory. He returned to Fort D.A. Russell in late July of 1873.












On September 22, 1876 Company "E" was re-assigned to Fort Fetterman. "Having learned of the Custer Massacre, Companies "E" and "I" departed for the Big Horn Territory." "On completion of the Big Horn Expedition, Companies "E" and "I" were stationed at Fort McKinney, Wyoming Territory until Norvember, 1878."












No comments:

Post a Comment