Saturday, December 31, 2011

Family

I have recently lost two friends both in December. It has made me reflect on my life and my family. How are we remembered? Are we remembered for what we have done or what we have become? I am not sure that I know the answer to that.

I think we are immediately remembered for what we have become. Who we are on the day that we die. In history, like John O'Donnell, I think we are remembered for what we have done with our lives. People are able to focus on the trials that we faced, the obstacles we have overcome, and the triumphs that we made. It is easy to see the inter-relationship of family that is not clouded with the present.

Fort Davis has the documents of John O'Donnell in as high a resolution that I could make. Will they use them? I have not heard, but I feel a sense of pride in the fact that they even asked. If they do not use them, they will be filed along with the other brave soldiers who were stationed there.

I have not heard back yet from the historian from Fort Sedgwick yet. I have sent her documents and I will see if she is able to lead me in the direction that I would like to go.

An itch to research the National Archives is beginning to bug me. School is starting, however, and I know that soon it will take over my life again. I can't say that I regret that, however, because teaching is my passion. I love what I do and look forward to it each day.

The new year begins tomorrow. Live your life, enjoy your life, and make a difference in this world!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Todd and I were both impressed with your profound insight into "lives lived."

    We are both lucky to be living our lives with you woven in...

    Wonderful wishes for 2012,

    Kim and Todd

    ReplyDelete